Corner Park Garages

What are your opening times?

We're open seven days a week until at least 6pm, even on weekends. These are our opening times for both our Cardiff and Swansea branches
Monday to Friday: 9am - 7.30pm
Saturday 9.30am - 6pm
Sunday 10pm - 6pm

Do I need an appointment?

No, you can just pop into either our Cardiff or Swansea showrooms to have a look at our cars. However, having an appointment will guarantee the availability of a member of the team. If you know what car you want to look at, you can book a test drive or reserve a car for a small refundable deposit of £50. You can even make an appointment to see one of our finance managers.

Do you negotiate on price?

All our prices are fixed. We have a dedicated pricing team that monitor our competitors and industry prices to ensure our cars are the cheapest in South Wales. As a result every car is at the lowest possible price, so you won't need to negotiate; however, if you do find the same car for less, our price promise means that we'll refund you the difference.

Can I reserve a car online?

Yes, you can. All you need to do is call our Cardiff or Swansea branch (wherever the vehicle is located) and a member of the team will be happy to reserve a car for up to three days for a small refundable deposit of £50.

Do you arrange cars for export?

No, unfortunately we don’t arrange cars for export, but you can export the car yourself.

Used Cars at Corner Park Garages

Are your cars HPI checked?

Yes, every car that sits on our forecourt is subject to a HPI Check. We guarantee our cars have no outstanding finance, and have not been stolen or written off.

Can I test drive the car before buying it?

Absolutely, if you find a car you like, you can book a test drive with a member of our sales team with no obligation to buy. We ensure you get a thorough test drive on different types of roads to get a feel for the car.

What is the £99 admin fee for?

We charge this fee to cover essential documentation and administration costs including taxing the car and officially transferring the ownership with the DVLA. Your statutory rights are not affected.

Are your cars safety checked?

Yes, every car we offer for sale has successfully passed a 128-point mechanical and safety inspection carried out by the AA. If you want to double check before taking delivery of any vehicle, you’re welcome to arrange an independent inspection at your own expense. If any mechanical or electrical problems are evident at these times, they will be remedied accordingly. Note: independent inspections must be pre-booked so we can allocate space within our workshops for the inspection to take place.

Do your cars have road tax?

Since October 1 2014, car tax is no longer transferable between owners. This means that buyers of used cars now have to tax them themselves as soon as they take ownership, rather than benefiting from tax already paid for by the seller. For more information visit:

Can I drive away on the same day?

Yes you can depending on your circumstances and time of day. In order to drive your new car away on the same day, you’ll need to bring the following documentation with you:
- Your UK driving licence or EU driving licence (you will also need an EU passport if using an EU driving licence
- Two proofs of address dated within the last 90 days (e.g. bank statement, council tax statements or other utility bill)

Used Car Finance at Corner Park Garages

Can you provide finance that suits my circumstances?

Yes, our experienced Business Managers are finance experts. They can advise you on all the finance options available including Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) and Hire Purchase (HP). Don’t worry about your credit history, we’ll do all we can to help.

Can I get finance with bad credit?

We work with a wide range of finance lenders with different products to help customers with all credit profiles get finance on a used car.

What payment methods do you accept?

We accept all major forms of payment: Debit/Credit Card, BACS transfers, Cash, Cheque, and Banker’s Draft. Please bear in mind we do need to wait for your chosen payment to clear before we can release your vehicle(s).

With new laws put into place in January 2018, it is now illegal to charge customers when making payments via debit/credit card – despite the costs remaining for businesses to absorb. As such, we strongly recommend payment via BACS when possible, and limit credit/debit card payments to a £200 maximum. Payment by any other means are not affected.

For our bank details to transfer via BACS, please enquire when making your deposit, and we’ll be happy to assist you.

Who do you work with to provide finance?

We use specialist motor finance houses such as Motonovo, Close Brothers and First Response as well as motor funding divisions of major high street names including Barclays. We continually assess our list of lenders to ensure our finance packages offer the best value for our customers.

What type of finance do you offer?

We offer Personal Contract Purchase (PCP) and Hire Purchase (HP) finance agreements. Learn more about these finance options on our finance page.

What is your APR?

Due to the number of finance companies we deal with, we don't have a set APR. The rate depends on various factors including the amount borrowed, contract term, charge for credit and doc fees. Our APRs are typically very competitive against other car dealers.

Do you offer 0%?

We don’t offer an interest free facility, but we do offer very competitive rates.

Over what period of time can I take my finance?

We offer a variety of terms from 12 months to 60 months, depending on the finance plan you choose.

Can I apply for Corner Park finance online?

Yes, once you've selected a car, adjusted the finance calculator and chosen a lender, you can apply online after clicking on the 'Learn More' button.

How much deposit do I need for finance with Corner Park?

In some circumstances, you will be offered a finance agreement without a deposit, it entirely depends on the finance provider. Our business manager will provide you with a full quotation and advise you on the various finance packages available. Putting a deposit down will help to reduce your monthly repayments.

How old do I need to be to apply for finance?

Under UK law you must be at least 18 years old to enter into a finance agreement.

What documents do I need to apply for finance?

Your UK driving licence or EU driving licence (you also need your EU passport if using an EU driving licence.
Two proofs of address dated within the last 90 days (e.g. bank statement, council tax statements or other utility bill).

What if I still have outstanding finance on my part exchange car?

We can settle any outstanding finance on your part exchange car. We will contact your existing finance provider and obtain a settlement figure. From there, we can work out if you're in positive equity and how much deposit you have towards your next purchase; or if you're in negative equity and need to put money in to clear your existing finance. If you're in negative equity and don't want to put any more money in, your next monthly repayments will be more expensive.

Is it possible to use my own finance provider?

Yes, but it could lead to a delay in the purchase of your car. Finance companies that we aren't partnered with will have to send documents to us. They will then want a receipt of the original documents before paying us for the car and we won't give you the keys until we've received payment.Typically, our customers appreciate the benefit of having everything in-house including finance, breakdown cover and GAP insurance.

Part Exchange at Corner Park Garages

Does my car have to be running?

Yes, we’ll need your car to be up and running for a part exchange.

What’s the oldest car you accept in part exchange?

We will consider any age car for part exchange. Just bring us your car for a valuation.

Can you give me a price by email or on the phone?

We can give you a quote for your part exchange over email or phone, but as no two used cars are the same, we’ll need to carry out a physical inspection (covering age, condition, documentation, mileage, ownership, specification and more) on your car before we can offer you the best possible price.

Do you check the mileage on cars before accepting them?

Yes, we run a NMR (National Mileage Register) check to make sure the mileage is correct. We will also want to check the service history to ensure it stacks up, along with the car’s VOSA history (MOT).

Do you HPI check cars before taking them in as part exchange?

Yes. We’ll check to make sure your car has no outstanding finance, is not an insurance write off and is not stolen. We may also carry out an Experian check on the vehicle.

Does my car need to have a current MOT?

You shouldn’t be on the road without a current MOT certificate. But we will consider a car without a current MOT. For more information please call us.

Why should I part exchange my car at Corner Park?

We will always pay top prices for good quality part exchanges. Using your car as a part exchange on a new car from us will reduce the overall price and make the monthly repayments cheaper because it will act as your deposit on a finance agreement.

Can I part exchange more than one car against my new purchase?

We will look at all part exchange deals on an individual basis and this may be possible. You would need to bring both cars to our dealership for inspection. For more information please call us.

Do you accept VCARs?

A VCAR is any motor vehicle that has been declared an insurance write off. Vehicles on VCAR can still be taken in part exchange. However, this will be at the discretion of our part exchange valuers, and it will be subject to the value, make, age and specification of the vehicle. Please remember there’ll be a significant difference in price. We don’t accept category A or B cars as they should not be on the road.

What do I need to do if I wish to keep my private number plate?

This can now be done online by visiting

However, in an effort to make your vehicle purchase as hassle free as possible our finance team will be happy to arrange transfer of a private plate for you. You will just need to provide us with a valid V5, a current MOT and Road Fund License (RFL).