Driving Laws You Could Have Broken Without Realising
Corner Park Garages, Swansea and Cardiff
May 30, 2017 at 11:10 AM
The laws of the road are not quite as simple or clear as you might think and every day many motorists offend without realising it. Here are a few of the more obscure rules of the UK's roads.
1. Driving Too Slowly - Just as driving too fast can get you in trouble, driving too far below the speed limit could attract penalties from a verbal warning to nine points.
2. Flashing Your Headlamps to Warn Others of Speed Traps - Some people think they're doing other drivers a favour, but doing this could land you in serious trouble. The minimum fine for this offence is £30, but it can go up to £1,000 for obstructing an officer's duty.
3. Using an Unfixed Phone as a Sat Nav - If you don't fix your mobile to the dashboard, you could end up with a fine of £200 and up to six points.
4. Swearing at or Giving Rude Gestures to Other Road Users - This is classed as "Disorderly Behaviour" and you could incur a fine equal to 75% of your weekly income.
5. Eating, Drinking, Applying Makeup, Changing Music etc - Whilst not strictly illegal in their own right, this can be classed as driving without due care and attention and you could incur a fine of £100 and 3-9 penalty points.
Read the full list here