Smart Ways Not To Lose Your Car Keys
Corner Park Garages, Swansea and Cardiff
January 08, 2018 at 2:02 PM
30% of car keys are stolen every year in the UK according to recent research by Keycare and they should know, having just celebrated 40 years of insuring the nation’s keys. Not only that, but 32% of cars are stolen with their keys in the autumn/winter versus 24% during the rest of the year.
You Think that breaking down is going to be expensive?
Try being locked out of your car and having to fork out for new car keys. In some cases, it’s cheaper to write-off a low-value vehicle than replace its keys which makes this an expensive business for the average motorist.
Replacing your car keys can cost as much as £300
In the 21st century, we benefit from an ever more secure world and this includes our vehicles of choice. The downside, however, is that with technological advancements in the automotive industry comes an increased cost. Like many devices, car keys are increasingly more sophisticated and gone are the days when a trip your high street key cutter would do the trick. These days, you may have no option but to purchase replacement car keys from a dealership or look up a specialist locksmith.
Technology is not always your friend
Whilst technology has developed apace, so has that of car thieves and with ever more natty techniques at their fingertips, it’s now become a case of prevention rather than cure. Minimise the opportunities for them to get their gloved mitts on your precious keys in the first place by following our top tips:
- Lock and secure your car – put it in the garage if you have one
- Park your car in busy or well-lit and attended car parks with CCTV
- Leave the house only with the keys you need and leave all other keys at home. Take your car keys off your key ring and leave them in their designated safe place
- Protect your keys with car key insurance if possible – most car insurance/breakdown companies will offer you this by default and it’s not expensive
- Have at least one replacement key. Possibly expensive to have cut but this will be far less than the cost of replacing your stolen vehicle!
We also recommend that you never….
- Leave expensive belongings such as mobile phones, satnavs and cameras in plain sight (lock them in the boot or better still, take them with you)
- Leave your spare keys in your car as this will make it easier for thieves to sell your vehicle
- Leave your keys in the ignition, even for a second
- Leave your car unattended with the engine running, even if you’re just de-icing the windscreen
- Leave car keys close to windows or in ‘safe places’ outside the house, e.g. letterboxes, cat flaps, flowerpots, etc. (yes, this does happen!)
Prevention is better than cure
At Corner Park Garages we say think smart so that you don’t lose your car keys in the first place. In other words, have a backup plan in place. Following our top tips may not stop you from losing your keys but they could help you to keep them safe and prevent the nightmare of replacing them or worse still your care if you do. Prevention is better than cure!